Mental Health Resources 

Mental Health Resources 

If you or someone you care about feels overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression or anxiety, or like you want to harm yourself or others call 911 or one of the national crisis resources below. 

National Crisis Resources 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 

1–800–273–TALK (1-800-273-8255) 

This is a crisis hotline that can help with many issues, not just suicide. For example, anyone who  feels sad, hopeless, or suicidal; family and friends who are concerned about a loved one; or  anyone interested in mental health treatment referrals can call the Lifeline. Callers are  connected with a professional nearby who will talk with them about what they are feeling or  concerns for other family and friends. Call the toll-free Lifeline, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. 

Crisis Text Line 

Text “MHFA” to 741741 

Available 24/7, 365 days a year, this organization helps people with mental health challenges by  connecting callers with trained crisis volunteers who will provide confidential advice, support,  and referrals if needed. 

Lifeline Crisis Chat 

Visit to chat online with crisis centers around the United States. 

The Trevor Project 

Call 866-488-7386 or Text “START” to 678678 


Trained counselors available 24/7 to support youth who are in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need  of a safe and judgment free place to talk. Specializing in supporting the LGBTQI+ community.  Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress Helpline

Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor. 

SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. 

Finding a Behavioral Health Provider  

The National Council for Behavioral Health 


Search for organizations that are committed to providing mental health services to anyone in  the community who needs it regardless of their ability to pay. 

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration  

SAMHSA provides information on mental health services and treatment centers through an  online service locator. You can search by your location, whether or not they provide services for  youth, payment options (private insurance, cash, or something else), languages spoken, etc. 

Additional Resources for Mental Health First Aiders

Mental Health First Aid USA 


The Mental Health First Aid website has additional resources related to the most common  mental disorders. 

Child Welfare Information Gateway’s Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect:  Summary of State Laws 

This summary will also tell you whether you are required to report by law and specific statute  information for a particular state.